Baltimore Immigration Lawyer

Immigration Lawyer based in Baltimore, Maryland

I am Joseph K. Githuku and I am a an immigration lawyer in Baltimore, Maryland. I can be reached at 410-849-9529.

Family Based Immigration

As an immigrant, I understand the complexity and difficulties of navigating the US immigration system.

There are several government entities involved in the journey of an immigrant to the US. These include the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (“USCIS”),the State Department’s Division of Consular Services (Embassies) and the US Customs and Border Protection (“CBP”).

Your petition for a relative is filed with the USCIS. Visa applications and interviews are handled by the Consular Services. If you or your family member is detained you are dealing with CBP.

The process of getting a loved one into the US can be lengthy and treacherous. I work with individuals and families to streamline and shorten the amount of time spent waiting due to submission of incorrect or incomplete information to the USCIS.

If you are a US Citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) you are able to bring some of your family members into the US. You are required to file a petition with USCIS. You would also need a visa application if the family member is abroad. For family members in the country then you would need an application for adjustment of status. For example, if you just got married and would like to petition for your new wife who is the country, then you would file an application for adjustment of status.

Common Question About Waiting Times

I have heard the number of visas are limited and some countries have long waiting periods. Does that mean my family member has to wait out of the country the entire time?

No, in some instances you can apply for visas and employment authorization while the application is pending.


Are you afraid that if you returned to you home country you would be persecuted because of your race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion? If your fear is credible and can be traced to these protected classes then you are eligible to seek asylum. Your asylum application has to be filed within one year of your entrance into the US.

Employment Based Nonimmigrant Visas

Are you an employer who would like to bring a critical member of your staff to the US? Are you an employee with a potential sponsor for a work visa? The Employment based nonimmigrant visas are meant for you. Employment based nonimmigrant visas help employers and workers obtain a way for the worker to legally enter the US. One of the most common, nonimmigrant visas is the H-1B visa. H-1B visas are common with IT and other tech professionals who either bring workers or able to enter the US with this type of visa.

Detained or Notice to Appear

Has a loved one being detained by the Customs and Border Patrol on immigration grounds? Detained or Notice to Appear Have you or loved being served with a Notice to Appear in immigration court? A detention or Notice to Appear may be issued if you are removable from the United States. Your case will be part of removal proceedings before immigration court. The Notice to Appear in Immigration Court should list the reasons the government believes you should be removed from the United States. You may have grounds to request the judge to allow to stay in the country. You should discuss your options with a knowledgeable Maryland immigration lawyer as soon as possible.


Have you been a continuous permanent resident of the United States for three years? You may eligible to apply for citizenship if you are married to a United States Citizen. Are you are a permanent resident or green card holder who has resided in the US for a least five years? You may be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Do you have an immigration question? Call me, Joseph Githuku, at 410-849-9529.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *